Kosher Gourmet Cooking Class Recipe
Chicken and Sweet Potato Tagine w/ almonds, apricots and olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1” of ginger, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon Ras El Hanout* (see below)
- 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet potato
- ½ c dried apricots
- ½ c roasted almonds
- ½ cup pitted, ripe olives (green is traditional)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- black pepper
- ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- Put olive oil in a heavy saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic until aromatic.
- Push to one side of the pan and sear chicken thighs on each side until colored (remove).
- Add ginger, Ras El Hanout, saffron if using, and honey.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, apricots, almonds, olives, salt and pepper.
- Set the chicken back into the sauce.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato into ¼ inch rounds and layer it over the chicken.
- Salt and pepper again.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350 for at least two hours. Can uncover and baste for the last quarter hour.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the dish.
- Serve in the pan with coriander (cilantro or culantro) sprinkled on top.
- Accompany with cous cous or rice.
* Ras El Hanout
(Can use pre-ground spices but there is a difference in taste)
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
large pinch of saffron/optional