Matzoh Almond Toffee Crunch
A delicious and sweet Passover treat that can be enjoyed all year!
- 5 sheets of matzoh (plus one extra to fill in any gaps)
- 2 sticks of salted butter or Pareve margarine
- 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli during the year and anything that is KP during Passover)
- 1 cup roasted, salted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line a large cookie sheet parchment paper.
- Place the matzoh sheets on the parchment paper, breaking up the extra piece and filling in any gaps.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and add the brown sugar.
- Stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and continue stirring constantly for another 3 minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat and pour to completely cover the matzoh.
- Spread with a wooden spoon to even out the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking to make sure that the toffee mixture doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven, place the pan on a heat-resistant surface and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the heated toffee. Wait one minute for the chocolate chips to melt and then spread the chocolate over the toffee. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the chocolate.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator for at least one hour until everything is set.
- Then, while still in the pan, break the Matzoh Almond Toffee into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator – if there is any left!
Congregation Beth Shalom of the Blue Hills http://www.bethshalombluehills.org/