Serenity, Song & Simcha. Our Shabbat & Holiday service style reflects a fusion of Tradition, Creativity, Ruach (spirit) & Learning all within an informal, engaging and easy-going atmosphere. As an egalitarian congregation, everyone is welcome to participate in all aspects of our services.
Erev Shabbat / Friday Night
Each month, several different types of Erev Shabbat service experiences are offered, each with their own feel and flavor. Some are held at 4:30, others at 6:30 or 7:45; some at the Temple with others at locations in the wider community; some services are more family friendly while others are more for adults; some include dinner, others a festive Oneg. Descriptions of each follow. Be sure to check the calendar for details. From September – May we hold Friday night services 3 out of every 4 Shabbatot. From June – August we hold services twice a month on Friday nights.
4:30 PM Friday Night Service at Fuller Village
Fuller Village Service – Once a month, services are held at Fuller Village; in either the Social Hall at the Brush Hill or Blue Hill campuses. Since many of our seniors live at Fuller Village, bringing the service to them is a true act of loving kindness and always appreciated. A festive Oneg always follows! All are invited. Unless indicated otherwise, services are at the Brush Hill Campus. Note that Yizkor Services that are not on a Friday night take place at 7:45.
Fuller Service Schedule for 2017/2018:
- Aug 18
- Sep 15
- Oct 11, Wed – Blue Hill Yizkor Service 7:45 PM
- Oct 20
- Nov 17
- Dec 22
- Jan 19
- Feb 16
- Mar 23
- Apr 20
- May 18
- May 20, Sun – Blue Hill Yizkor Service 7:45 PM
- June 22
6:30 PM Friday Night Service Experiences
- Host Shabbat followed by Pot Luck Dairy Dinner – Throughout the year, different Temple families host services in their homes. Those who attend bring a dairy or parve salad, main course or side dish. Contact the office if you have questions about our food ingredient and/or preparation kashrut/kosher standards. All the necessary Shabbat fixings of wine, grape juice, challah and prayer books are provided by the Temple. Anywhere from 15 to 30 people have been known to attend! To effectively coordinate the Dairy Pot Luck, an RSVP to the office is appreciated. Let us know if you would be interested in hosting!
- Congregational Dinner & Speaker Shabbat – “If you feed them, they will come.” Several times during the year, the whole congregation comes together to enjoy a Shabbat dinner and speaker following services. Some are dinners are meat others, dairy. Vegetarian options are available upon request. The cost of the meal is kept at a minimum and an RSVP is required.
- Curry College Hillel Shabbat – A few times each year, Congregation Beth Shalom of the Blue Hills joins together with the Jewish students and faculty at Curry College for joint Friday night services and Shabbat dinner. Services are held in the Curry College Chapel located in their new Student Center building. RSVP is required to attend the dinner.
7:45 PM Friday Night Service Experiences
- Guest Speaker Shabbat – Throughout the year speakers are invited to share their knowledge and experience during a sit-down festive Oneg that follows services. Past speakers have included: Judge Sumner Kaplan, Reverend Sam Rodman and Kathy Murphy, Assistant Dean of Admissions at Stone Hill College. Topics have included: “ What Israel Means to Me” and “A Book that Influenced My Life”. Go to the Adult Education section of the website to see schedule.
- Musical Shabbat Services – RabbiB is joined by either Barbara Ehrmann on guitar or Joel Davidson on piano for these song & ruach (spirit)-filled services. If you like to surround yourself with the beauty and power of music then this is the service for you. Musical Shabbat Services will be held on the following dates for 2017/2018:
- Nov 1
- Dec 1
- Jan 5
- Feb 2
- Mar 2
- Apr 6
- May 11
- June 1
Shabbat Morning – 9:30AM
Each month, different types of service styles are highlighted. This openness to a variety of spiritual experiences is something about which we are very committed. All services include either a sit-down breakfast or Kiddush lunch. Services are held every Saturday morning throughout the year.
- Traditional Shabbat Service – Spirited Singing, Torah Discussion & Dialogue, Participation and Sharing Memories are all hallmarks of this service. So too is the chanting of the Triennial Torah cycle, Haftarah, full Shacharit and abbreviated Musaf.
- Torah Study Shabbat – After completing the Shabbat Shacharit / morning service at approximately 10:30, the congregation is invited to a sit-down breakfast and Torah study discussion led by the Rabbi. At approximately 11:20 services resume with the Torah reading, Haftarah and an abbreviated Musaf Service. Services conclude at around 12:30. People are welcome to come for any or all 3 parts of this Shabbat morning service and study experience.
- Family / School-led Shabbat – Several times during the year, Shabbat morning services are led by students in our Religious School so they can “show what they know” in front of the whole congregation. Adjustments to the service are made to ensure that it is family friendly and age appropriate. A Torah study session for our adult congregants takes place, before the children arrive, from 9:30 – 10:20. The Service itself begins at 10:30 and concludes at noon. A parallel Tot Shabbat service is run from 11:15 – noon. All are invited to attend the congregational luncheon that follows.
- Tot Shabbat – Led by our very own childhood development expert Ronit Voigt, this service for toddlers and their parents is held approximately once a month, from 11:15 – noon. This service is filled with singing, Torah marching and dancing, story time and music. Be prepared to get in the Shabbat Spirit and then join the entire congregation afterwards for a family-friendly Kiddush luncheon. Check the calendar.
Sunday Morning Minyan – 9:00AM
Every Sunday morning throughout the year a dedicated group of “minyanaires” gather for a lay-led Shacharit / weekday morning service held in our sanctuary. All are welcome. The service ends at around 9:45.