Rabbi Jacob Hochman
Rabbi Zachary Heller—Part time
Rabbi Ephraim Greenberg (prior to the existence of the building when it was held at Quincy JCC)
Rabbi David J. Jacobs
Rabbi David J. Jacobs served as the spiritual leader of Temple Beth El in Quincy from 1957 until 2008, creating a lasting legacy of Jewish thought, meaningful traditions, and a beautiful sanctuary. His name became synonymous with the shul. Rabbi Jacobs was born in Brooklyn, New York and completed his rabbinical studies at the Jewish Theological Seminary. He was ordained in 1953, and later that year founded Congregation Sha’ar Shalom in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where he stayed for four years prior to coming to Quincy.
Rabbi Jacobs was, at heart, an educator. His Torah discussions and other educational forums always interested and excited the congregation. In addition, he developed close personal relationships with local clergy and both taught and learned from them and their traditions. Beauty and meaning in shul decor were important to Rabbi Jacobs. He worked continuously to bring beautiful and traditionally meaningful art work to Beth El and it was always a topic of conversation to members and visitors.
Rabbi Jacobs passed away in 2008, leaving his wife of 55 years, Zipporah, along with three daughters, Rebecca, Abigail and Sarah, and six grandchildren.
Rabbi Navah L. Levine—part time
Cantor Irving Kischel
Cantor Irving Kischel was cantor at Temple Shalom from its founding in 1950 until his retirement in 1984. Before coming to Milton, Cantor Kischel served the Young Israel of Mattapan. He was a member of the Cantors’ Assembly. Cantor Kischel enjoyed working with young people and would attend United Synagogue Youth summer encampments as a youth educator. It was his goal to teach Judaism to Jewish teens as a way of keeping them connected to the synagogue and Jewish life. Many have fond memories of him in his role as spiritual leader and pastor.